Fraud & ID Theft Prevention
Electronic Banking Security Tips Reporting Suspicious Activity
Online Security Tips
- Avoid downloading programs from unknown sources.
- Protect your online passwords. Don't write them down or share them with anyone.
- Use secure websites for conducting transactions. Make sure internet purchases are secured with encryption to protect your account information. Look for "secure transaction" symbols like a lock symbol in the lower right-hand corner of your web browser window, or "https://.." in the address bar of the website. The "s" indicates "secured" and means the web page uses encryption.
- Always log off from any website after making a purchase with your credit or debit card.
- Close your browser when you're not using the internet.
Mobile Banking Security Tips
- Use the keypad lock or phone lock function on your mobile device when it is not in use. Also be sure to store your device in a secure location.
- Frequently delete text messages from the bank, especially before loaning out, discarding, or selling your mobile device.
- Never disclose via text message any personal information (account numbers, passwords, or any combination of sensitive information like your social security number or birth date) that could be used in ID theft.
- If you lose your mobile device or change your mobile phone number, remove the old number from your mobile banking profile.
- For your security, sign off when you finish using the NORTHSTAR BANK application rather than just closing the page.
Computer Security Tips
- Keep your computer operating system up to date to ensure the highest level of protection.
- Install a personal firewall on your computer.
- Install, run, and keep anti-virus software updated.
- Turn your computer off completely when you are finished using it – don't leave it in sleep mode.
- Conduct online banking activities on secure computers only. Public computers should be used with caution, due to shared use and possible tampering. Online banking activities and viewing or downloading documents should only be conducted on a computer you know to be safe and secure. If possible, use a dedicated computer when sending Wire Transfers or ACH files.
Email Security Tips
- Be wary of suspicious emails. Never open attachments, click on links, or respond to emails from suspicious or unknown senders.
- The bank will never ask you for personal information via email.
Reporting Suspicious Activity
- The security of your accounts and personal information is one of Northstar Bank's top priorities. Please promptly report any suspicious activity to 800-460-6634; Option 0.
- Regularly reviewing your account activity is one of the best ways to notice and stop fraudulent activity quickly. Review your monthly statements or review activity online, 24 hours a day, with Northstar Bank's Online Banking.